Polycab window seal issue
  • Some of you will know that my Polycab has the annoying habit of dumping my door glasses in my lap when I am driving. So after Dersingham I decided that new window rubber was required. I found that Robert Protchki was selling the rubber profile and the flexible beading that is supposed to anchor everything in place, so two sets now supplied. I have installed the main profile, but because it is large in section, at the curves the excess bulges out. This clearly cannot be right. The old one was flat all the way round. Is there a magic trick to getting it to flatten out. I can,t see where the extra rubber can go. Is it like heat shrink if I apply some heat will it shrink? And getting the lock trim into the inside groove looks like being a three man job if at all possible. Help please Professors and Wizards, what is the trick with these.
    Nigel
  • If the profile if the seal is the same as the one I know about, then there is a tool which is a wire diamond shape which holds the sides of the rubber open so you can feed the locking seal down the middle. 

You can achieve the same thing with a screwdriver and patience. Do some trial runs with the two profiles to see how they go together.
    The locking strip will force the two slots to squeeze shut on to both the door frame and the glass.  

As for the corners, as you point out you can't "squash" the excess rubber out of he way, so you have to use less rubber and stretch it to fit in the corners. This would only work if you can get the "glass" into the corners first and leave a section of the seal on the longest run not clipped to either the glass or the door frame.

Then you put the locking strip in the sections which you can clip in place to hold the corners as best you can.

Or you put small cuts in the profile to get it to go round the corners and use super glue to stick the cuts back together. If you go this route make sure you get the two part super glue, some thing like this:-

I have to say I have not tried to put this profile:-
    into very tight corners like the ones on your windows.

Hope this is of help.

John

Welcome to our Forum for Members

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!