Zenith Carb manifold wanted
  • I have managed to break pre-heat pipe on Lurch as I drove back from Holland the other weekend. It has broken right at the joint to the square manifold / Carb mounting block. It does not look like it is going to be an easy repair as the original pipes are brazed in and if I heat the area enough to melt new braze it, it is likely that it will loosen the other pipe next to it and possibly change angles etc.

    SoI thought I would aslk if anyone has a spare Carb manifold for sale? I actually have 2 spares, but they are for the Solex Carb and so won't be usable with the Zenith Carb fitted to Lurch.

    Let me know please.

    John
  •  Hi John,if yours is a twin choke Zenith Carb then we have a spare manifold.  Pete
  • Yes, the twin choke Zenith 32NDIX carb.

    I am in the process of trying to repair the original broken one, but just in case I can't get the braze to work correctly. I am going to try an braze a short section of new pipe into the Carb mounting block without melting the braze holding the other pipe which is just next to it.

    If that fails or becomes such a mess - I'll come back to you regarding your spare - so don't get rid of it just yet!!!

    Thanks,

    John  
  • No probs John, good look with the brazing,   Pete
  • Having asked the question of a near by Haflinger owner regarding the use of his oxy/acetylene kit and being told that it would be available over this weekend, I bit the bullet and removed the carb manifold. Cleaned up the bit of old broken pipe on the Carb mounting block and cut a piece of 25mm steel pipe to braze in.

    Attachment:
    New pipe stub.jpg
    New pipe stub.jpg [ 511.44 KiB | Viewed 1 time ] 


    All shiny ready to be brazed in.

    Sunday saw me turn up and after a while playing with braze I had this to show for it.

    Attachment:
    new pipe brazed in.jpg
    new pipe brazed in.jpg [ 332.28 KiB | Not viewed yet ] 


    Only when it had cooled down and I could trial fit it did I find out it had moved! Having been a bit over enthusiastic about adding the braze I didn't think it would be very easy to get it to line up again with out applying a lot more heat which might mean the other pipe might move. So I set about about addign another section of pipe at an angle to get it all line up. As the gap between the to pipes was now very narrow I could not weld on that side of the pipe. Solution was to cut a big enough hole to allow welding on the inside of the pipe. (picture shows the access hole).

    Attachment:
    One of many trial fits.jpg
    One of many trial fits.jpg [ 212.82 KiB | Viewed 1 time ] 


    One of many trial fits.

    Other than having run out of argon gas, so I can't finish all the welds off, it all lines up but we'll see if it works correctly when I put the governor system back on. It uses that pipe as a stop and now that it is at an angle, I might have to reset things.

    More photos when I get more gas and can finish the welding.

    John

Welcome to our Forum for Members

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!